Tuesday 17 April 2012

Roast Pumpkin and Baby Carrot Soup

My meal plan for the week always revolves around what's on sale at the supermarket. So this week both butternut pumpkin and baby carrots were on sale at Coles which to me equates to a yummy warm soup for lunch tomorrow. Something really thick and hearty to balance out this rainy miserable weather. And why not make it a vegetarian meal as well! Mix it up a bit. 


Also, I love savoury dishes that have a tinge of sweetness to them and the honey in this recipe really tickled my fancy. I read somewhere on the internet (as a Vet I hear this at least once a day in the consult room) that roasting the vegetables gives the soup an extra lift, I tried it and I don't think it warrants the effort. Next time I'll just boil everything straight from the bat.

Recipe
Half a medium sized butternut pumpkin
6 baby carrots
1 large potato
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500ml vegetable stock
1/4 cup of thickened cream




Method
1. Roast vegetables for 45 minutes at 200 degrees C mixed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the honey.
2. Move to a stockpot and add the vegetable stock and spices, salt and pepper and boil for a further 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft. 



3. Blend (I have a little rocket blender so this took ages as I had to do it in 5 separate batches) with the cream.
4. Enjoy with some fresh coriander or crusty bread. 



No comments:

Post a Comment