Tuesday 24 April 2012

Apple and Oats Crumble Recipe

I'm a bit of a fad eater. I like to try new things and if I find something I like, I eat it to exhaustion. I think I have a highly addictive nature. Hence I stay away from anything really nasty like drugs and One Direction. However food-wise, sashimi was last Summer's addiction.

And now that the weather is getting cooler, it's oats. Now you can just cook oats in a saucepan with some milk, add a bit of honey and sliced banana and you have a pretty awesome breakfast right there. I've been having that for breakfast every single morning. Just ask my work colleagues (I use the instant stuff in that case).

But, I also made this super yummy crumble after dinner the other night. It's so easy and only requires one bowl, a baking dish and a chopping board. 


Ingredients


  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped - I used granny smith apples
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Method

  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Lightly grease a medium sized baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour and butter. Mix until crumbly. Place half of crumb mixture in pan. 
  3. Spread the apples evenly over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and top with remaining crumb mixture.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.


So crispy on the outside and a bit tart and very gooey on the inside. Perfect with a bit of tea on a sunny but chilly morning sitting on the balcony and contemplating the mysteries with of life. Can't do that with just plain cereal!

1 comment:

  1. "anything nasty like drugs and One Direction". Literary genius! Brilliance! Bravo Toni! Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha! Jill

    ReplyDelete