Sunday 25 March 2012

Nice to Meetup

In the past 12 months I've been flying solo with my sewing and just developing skills in my own way and time. I haven't bothered with formal classes and liked to try to muddle through different projects on my own. I've finally built up the confidence to joint a group of some sort in search for like minded crafters to swap tips and inspiration.

This inkling led me to meetup, a great website to connect people who share similar interests. It's free to join and just my luck, there was a sewing meet up happening soon in Rozelle on Sunday from 9am-1pm. It was $10 to attend and we could work on our own projects or sew quilts for the charity. 

Di, the meetup coordinator was so lovely and was showing us some owl bags that some previous crafters had done and kindly offered us fabric and sewing machines to do our own. The people I met were fantastic and were so varied and interesting. 

Look closely
My owl bag I made
Elwyn, a software developer, had no previous sewing experience but had joined the group to achieve his goal of sewing a Star Wars costume to wear on the Sydney to Gong bike ride. Maddy was on a mission to sew what seemed like an endless amount of fabric napkins made from gorgeous Amy Butler fabric for her wedding. And Eve was there for fun, just like me, and we made some pretty nifty owl bags. I'll definitely be meeting up more often!

Di's vintage Singer machine
- it still works

Cool vintage machine carrier
I love the robin egg blue
caravan in the yard
Our only male. Hurrah for Elwyn!
Vintage machines
Artspace is a 
great space!

No comments:

Post a Comment