Sunday 18 March 2012

Coloured Bow Dress

I was walking around Cabramatta last week and this bright, fun print caught my eye. At $2 per metre I couldn't resist buying two metres not yet knowing what to do with it. 


For the whole week I had it draped on my mannequin staring at it, waiting for inspiration to hit me. What do you want to be? A skirt, a dress, a top. Bows, pleats, cut-outs? I found this dress on modcloth I thought would be pretty, especially if I used a contrast material for the bow. And hence a project was born. 

Since the last dress I made which had a very annoying invisible zip which I still struggle with, this one has an elastic waistband. The material is a bit sheer so lining was a must. I used the turquoise fabric just to break up the pattern a bit and the asymmetrical hemline I threw in just for some extra flow.


Top Three Tips:
1. Stretch out the elastic when sewing an inelastic fabric to it so you get that nice stretch at the waist.
2. Make sure you use a very long piece of fabric for a bow (mine was 3 metres). The knot takes up a lot of fabric.
3. Fold material in half and cut out your shapes from the midline. This will ensure complete symmetry.

This dress makes me want to go on a romantic row boat ride a la 'The Notebook'. Preferably with Ryan Gosling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment