Sunday 11 March 2012

Have A Heart!

It's a bit late for Valentine's day, but when I saw this Topshop dress, it perked my sewing curiosity and I wondered if my self taught skills would stretch far enough to include cut outs in dresses. 



Well there's no time like the present to give it a go! As usual I started out with the familiar and got the skirt organised. Most of my time was spent on the top. I made a heart template out of paper just to make sure I got the dimensions right and based the dress dimensions on one of my old dresses.



I had to sew in some padding as this dress clearly isn't compatible with a bra. The front has four layers of fabric to cover the padding. Other tricky bits were the zip and the front armpit area. I had to put some darts in as the front armpit drooped a bit. 


It's my first attempt at a lined dress and without a pattern too. It took me a weekend to complete it. Now to find somewhere romantic to wear it.







No comments:

Post a Comment