Sunday 22 January 2012

Stripe, Sheer and Maxi. Perfect.

Awhile ago I saw a girl crossing the street in Paddington and my head turned a full 90 degrees. She was wearing a striking sheer maxi skirt that seemed to float behind her like a dream. 

At first I thought that she was pretty brave for wearing something so sheer but soon realised that there was a black miniskirt lining that still allowed some modesty without ruining the lightness of the material. Plus I've always love maxis but found all that material swamping to us short folk, so this seemed like a good compromise.

American Apparel Sheer Maxi from ASOS 


Using a tan and black sheer fabric I bought from a Vietnamese market, I thought I'd give it a go myself. Using a thick stretch wool mix for the lining and some elastic for the waistband, I was able to complete this skirt in 2 days as it's pretty basic. No fancy seams or tricky zips to deal with. 


The hardest part was making the diagonal waistline but you can just use black elastic or skip it altogether. I made my lining skirt a bit longer than the one I saw, just in case. But unless you're in a bright sunlight it's hard to tell anyway. 



I like the cheeky surprise element to it. You look a bit naked but on second glance, it's all good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment