Thursday 12 January 2012

Shear delight - the search for good pinking scissors

So after having the brilliant yet costly idea that I need an overlocker (serger to some) I then came to the conclusion that maybe just get some pinking scissors would be the next best option.


There is an awesome tutorial on the Sew Kate Sew blog here so I won't bother doing a poor imitation of it.

The two best brands appear to be Gingher and Fiskars. Having called around the local Sydney stores they range from $39-69 for a good pair and most places only have one or two in stock so they may be a bit hard to track down. I find going online is the best option and the US appear to be the motherland of pinking shears.

The Gingher ones are highly rated by most sewing guru's for their sharpness and ease of use but one negative is that they are quite heavy and don't have soft grip handles for those who have some serious pinking that needs to be done. Also amazon.com seems to be the only place that sell them for a reasonable price (around $25) but don't ship at all to Australia. 
The Fiskars appear to be a good all rounder. Light, soft grip handle, sharp and accurate. There are the spring action ones but they appear to a bit more cumbersome and the lock mechanism is likely to break. Also they cost around $10 more than the normal ones. 
I've gone with these ebay Fiskars soft grip 8 inch ones. I paid $13 (including postage). I'll let you know how they go. I've got my fingers crossed my frayed edges days are over once and for all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment