Thursday 9 August 2012

How to make a peplum top/dress


As I've mentioned in previous posts dear reader, my mum is a bit of a hoarder. The other day I was over visiting and was just curious to see if she had any leftover material I could use to make some things for my market stall (not like I need anymore since I've got my own hoarding fabric habit). 

Lo and behold, she's got about 20 full rolls of this coloured stretch fabric that she bought for $3 per roll at a closing down fabric store. Apparently she went back 3 times and bought $100 worth which filled up the ENTIRE CAR! So naturally, I took a bit home, perfect for the peplum top and skirt I've been planning to make.


There are some tutorials online but they're not as 'peplumy' as I'd like. I wanted a lot of ruffles! So I made my own peplum pattern using some disposable medical drape material. 


I did make a prototype (see above) but found that the seam at the top was unsightly so I fixed this by adding an inner panel that folded over so the seam was on the inside.The skirt is just a basic pencil skirt which I made a separate pattern for.






No comments:

Post a Comment