Monday 29 October 2012

Setting Up A Market Stall

Yesterday we had our first market stall with me selling my terrariums and some things I had lying around the house and Nancy with her felt mustache brooches etc. So here we are for the Monday morning post mortem where I will be dissecting the experience into things that were good and things to improve.






Things That Went Well
- The staggered height display worked well because a lot the jars look better at eye height.
- I got invaluable advice from a market stall veteran who was next to me about perservering with doing the markets to get more exposure. 
- Not something I personally did but the weather ended up sunny but not too hot so a lot of people were out and about. 
- The timing of the markets was great because 'Sculptures of the Sea' was on so a lot of people were coming to and from that.
- I got at least 50 people who spontaneously broke out in smile with my terrariums and around 5 that came up to me and told me how much they loved them - always heartwarming.
- A lot of my friends came out to see my stall and show their support which made me realise just what great friends I had!

Things That Can Be Improved
- We had two tables on either side of the stall so people had to walk in to have a look, next time we'll just have one tablet horizontally at the at front for better exposure to people walking by.
- I'm going to get some cute boxes so people can give them as gifts.
- We both got sunburnt despite borrowing a big beach umbrella from our lovely neighbour so we'll have to better protect ourselves whilst outside all day.
- I'm only going to sell my terrariums and not my other stuff as it's not the primary focus of the stall and just clutters the stall.
- I'm going make some more basic, smaller terrariums as most people don't want to spend too much.
- I need to get business cards so people can look me up later.

I made around $220 which I was happy with but have learnt that profit isn't the main goal of the market stall. I was just as happy when someone would be walking by and then stop suddenly because a terrarium had caught their eye and then a smile would break out of their face. Or when a group of people would stand their and each point out their favourite terrarium to their friends. Priceless. I'll be having another stall in December so keep your eyes and ears open folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment