Sunday 19 February 2012

Having a blouse-y moment

Making a blouse can seem tricky. It's not just a rectangle with two ends put together like a skirt is. There are a few more technical aspects to it. The collar, the buttonholes and worst of all - the sleeves.

Now, I usually sew free-style (without a pattern). I think this allows a bit more creativity (though some of it may be laziness on my part to go out and find an appropriate pattern. Sometimes this works out well and I get to make something really unique. Other times, it's a lot of wasted time and effort trialling certain things that don't work.


Back to the blouse...this is something that may just be beyond my skills to figure out. Luckily I bought this pattern from the fabric cave in Ryde for 50c. Like Vinnies but for sewing folks with all profits going to charity. Considering the average cost of a pattern costs $10, this was a steal. 



I pretty much stuck to the pattern with the only adjustment being changing the collar to a peter pan style and adding a polka dot fabric to the backing of the buttons for a bit of a fun (even though you don't really see it). It took me a week and most of that was trying to hem the curved sleeves (straight lines are so much easier). This took several attempts. I'm a bit in love with this top from it's flutter sleeves to the cute collar to the contrast colours. It's new age fun with a vintage feel! 

It's hidden polka dot fun!


The front - note the peter pan collar. 

Flutter sleeves - for light breezy days.

The top part of the blouse that connects the sleeves, front and back is called the 'yoke'

No comments:

Post a Comment